Girnar also known as Girnar Hill or Girinagar or Revatak Pravata. Older than Himalayas and about 3672 feet high, one has to climb 10,000 steps from the foot of the hill to reach at the top. Girnar, the mountain and its range are considered sacred and it’s an important pilgrimage site for Jains. It has been an important religious place for Jains since the 3rd century. The Neminath Temple, built from 1128 AD to 1159 AD, is one of the main attractions. According to Jain religious beliefs, Neminath, the 22nd Tirthankar became an ascetic after he saw the slaughter of animals for food on his wedding. He renounced all worldly pleasures and came to Mount Girnar to attain salvation. Here, Bhagwan Neminath reached the highest state of enlightenment, Keval Gyan and Moksha, after great austerities. His bride also followed his path and founded the Sadhvi Sangh, the organization of women ascetics.The rectangular Neminath temple has an idol of Lord Neminath in black granite with jeweled eyes. It is believed the 22nd tirthankara Neminath have taken nirvana on Mount Girnar after 700 years of meditation. In Girnar the Jain temples are Baghwan Rishabhadev Temple and Baghwan Parshwanath Temple. Rishabhadev Temple, situated nearby, is in golden color. Another Jain temple in the region is the Parshwanath Temple, which is also known as Meravasi was built in the 15th century.
There are 5 tonks on the Girnar hill.
1) First Tonk – First toonk is renowned for the Rajulmati Cave and idols of various gods such as Lord Bahubali, Lord Neminath and Lord Parshwanath. There is a sring water called gomukhi ganga and nearby the footprints of 24 tirthanakaras are available.
2) Second Tonk – Footprints of Muni Anirudhhkumat and temple of Devi Ambika.
3) Third Tonk – Footprints of Muni Sambukkumar who hs as attained nirvana from this place.
4) Fourth tonk – Footprints of pradhyman kumar, son of lord krishna, who has attained nirvana from this place.
5) Fifth tonk – Footprints of Lord Neminath’s, the 22nd tirthankar who has attained nirvana from this place.